Re: Image cathedral at Les Baux

At 8:20 PM -0600 12/4/06, lea murphy wrote:
I'm still confused.

When I submit an ad proof to a client it send it 4x5 at 75 dpi and it zips out.

When I submit an ad to a magazine I send it at 4x5 at 300 dpi and it takes for flipping ever.

1000x2000 pixel image set to 72 dpi = 2Mb

1000x2000 pixel image set to 1000 dpi = 2Mb

Image size in browser on 20" monitor,
screen set to 100dpi for 72 dpi image = 10"

Image size in browser on 20" monitor,
screen set to 100dpi for 1000 dpi image = 10"

OK. Looking at Karl's example here he's not saying that the image is the same size in inches. He's saying it's the same size in pixels, whether there are 72 to the inch or 1000. In your example the two things are not identical being as they're the same dimension in inches but different resolutions.

In that case, for sure the one at the denser resolution is going to take a lot longer to transmit, since it's bigger.

Keep in mind, however, that a single jpegging at a level 10 or 11 is going to reduce the 300 dpi file a great deal for transmitting but not affect its appearance in print in the ad. Depending on the content of the file you could even jpeg it at 9 and it would probably be OK. After all, the 300 dpi that the printer needs is very fine resolution and the sharpening that happens as a byproduct of the jpegging is hardly going to turn to jaggies on a single jpegging. In fact, no data is lost if the image is not altered between openings, and you can probably be pretty sure that the magazine is not going to bother to mess around with your prepared ad. So they're only going to open the ad file and reclose it, not open and modify and re-jpeg. And even then, they'd have to open it 20 or 30 times before the compression loss would seriously show at 300 dpi.

Furthermore, the chance that your prospective clients would even notice the effect of 2 or 3 resavings is miniscule.

So for an ad I wouldn't get into sending tiffs or dmgs. It's simply not necessary in the real world.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822