Re: DPI-was Image cathedral at Les Baux

PPI and DPI mean the same thing.

Actually, I feel that dots are round things and pixels are square things so....I prefer PPI but I'm not making the rules and DPI is what's used mostly

DPI on its own means nothing without the physical size of the image.

What we really need to know is the pixel dimension of the image.

In other words we need to use the primary-school-simple formula:

Size(Inches)  X  DPI (Or PPI) = pixel dimensions.

This is useful information. Nothing else is of much value.

To send commercial images for preview by email. you can size them to:

Around 1000 pixels for the longest dimension

72 DPI resolution

Medium JPEG compression

If you want to speed up the process, you should “Save for web” in Photoshop.

FILE>SAVE FOR WEB

In the top little presets window choose “JPEG HIGH” (There’s a choice between Low, medium and high)

You really don’t need to fiddle with any other settings.

Computer monitors bought in the last 20 years or used by people dealing with images will not have a lower resolution than that.

So that will give you nice, screen-filling image suitable for previewing by any client.

(It will also make a decent ¼ page print for editorial)

High quality magazine covers are actually printed at a resolution of around 240 DPI (But they always ask for 300)

Newspapers are printed at around 100-150 DPI

You can get a very nice 8X10 print of the kids from the corner lab with a file about 1200 by 1500  pixels

(8” X 10” @ 150 DPI)

(There’s something called the “Q” factor which says that you must work with a file 1.6 X bigger than the required final size)

I Think it should be called the OCD factor or the paranoia factor. I have not seen any evidence to support this idea.

The first thing the publishing guys do to your 300DPI image is resize it to fit into the space allotted. Thereby effectively reducing the resolution.

It's a funny world out there in pixel land.

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,

Higher College of Technology
Muscat