Re: Image cathedral at Les Baux

To begin with, monitors can't use more than 72 or 96 dpi, so if your sole purpose in adjusting the resolution is to improve your display result, those are the resolutions you need to be using.

Printing, of course, is more varied. Most desktop printers are happiest around 240-300 dpi so more than that is no particular use. Other printing resolutions are similarly a function of the final purpose and medium onto which the image will be printed. For example newspapers are around 180 dpi, billboards are around 24 dpi I understand.

Of course the most important resolution factor is capture resolution. That's the only opportunity to get the most information without extrapolating it.

On to file size - it's a function of many more things than image resolution and external dimensions. Nowadays nearly all images come with embedded non-image information, both EXIF and IPTC. That info increases the storage size of your file. Stripping it out leaves your image unprotected from thieves, a poor idea for members of any community committed to doing any kind of creative effort.

And then there's jpeg compression, possible at such a variety of levels.

The final variables are image content and sharpening. Edges, especially their shadows and contrast, can make or break an image presentation. Oversharpening doesn't make much difference on monitors but sure does in print. And it may conflict with the image concept, when artistic softness is part of the point.

Looking at the cathedral image in the gallery, I do think it might be somewhat better there if a big percentage of the display weren't taken up with the white border. We would be able to see the image at gallery full size which seems to me like a good idea.

HTH
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx