Re: Sharpening, and improving focus, and reducing motion blur

At 08:37 PM 11/2/2006, Emily L. Ferguson wrote:
Well, I'm of the opinion that if I can avoid using Photoshop for image adjustment, being as I start with a RAW file, then I've gotten the best possible capture.

There are many advantages to sharpening in Photoshop, in particular, the ability to use the most appropriate sharpening method for the image. For some images, sharpening by color channel makes a big difference; in others, edge sharpening globally makes a difference; I have found that sharpening the L channel in LAB mode can give much better results for some images. Sharpening in ACR limits one to a fairly simplistic single method of sharpening. Also, as I pointed out previously, some images benefit from selective sharpening.

If one is happy with a fairly generic sharpening, then this isn't an issue. But there are very good reasons for sharpening with the most appropriate method.

It's worth noting that virtually commercial work is sharpened in Photoshop. I have always been asked for unsharpened TIFFs, which means there is no sharpening in ACR.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/