Re: Sizing images for Photoforum

On Feb 19, 2006, at 2:52 PM, Marilyn wrote:

Would one of you be interested in sending a tutorial of sorts to Photoforum about sizing images?

I would appreciate the help.  Others might, too.

Marilyn

What I do when saving a picture for the Gallery, using Photoshop CS2:

I start by opening a RAW file and making whatever adjustments are needed. Then I open in Photoshop using the Option--Open command which doesn't bring the metadata along with the file (I haven't found any use for it)

In Photoshop I make whatever, if any, additional adjustments are needed. (For me this is most often a curves adjustment but little else.)

Now it's time to save one for the Gallery or other Web use.

I flatten the image if there are any layers in addition to the Background layer.

Apply sharpening in the form of Smart Sharpen or Unsharp Mask.

Go to File > Save for Web

Click on "Image Size" tab and make width 600 pixels if horizontal or height 500-550 pixels if vertical, making sure "Constrain Proportions" is checked and Quality: Bicubic Smoother.

Then go to the Optimize drop-down menu and select "Optimize to File Size..." (I keep it set to 60k and just hit return)

Done!

Save file wherever desired

I then return to the original file and delete sharpening and flattening stages before saving it, but I could save myself this step by saving the unflattened/unsharpened version before Save for Web.

Note: Nowhere do I resize the original (after RAW) file to 72dpi or otherwise change its dimensions--Save for Web does this quite nicely.

Cheers,

Rich Mason