Re: PF exhibits on 11 FEB 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "James B. Davis"

: I still say the size should be increased, 75K just isn't enough. If you
have a
: JPG 800 x 535 with lots of detail you can't fit it in unless you go down
to a
: compression of 3 which is too much.
:
: And that's without any colour space info I might add.

just tried a complicated TIF which I cropped to the above size & saved it
with irfanview as a jpeg .

249k -100% quality

51k -80% quality

no discernable difference, banding, artifacts or visible jpeg nonsense.

I'm guessing you are working with photoshop - maybe try running the images
you are getting such sizes for through an image stripping program like jpeg
stripper to see if there is redundant information being stored - if so
stripping it might bring the image size down to something you'll find more
reasonable without compromising the image detail.

karl