RE: Would you give away a print to a prospective client?

Hi Jeff,

I agree witht the majority of your post so far. I have also used images for barter with airshow pilots too. But those I do not consider freebies. Those are usually a TFP (trade for prints). Most of the time I could not afford the
costs to do air-to-air work if I have to pay a commercial pilot and hire an aircraft. It has also gotten me good access for some events. As you are well aware access is usually the key.

But I dont really understand the retail store analogy. I have tried to foster my creative expertise instead of my price to get work. It has often been tough when a PE says that his multigazillion $ org won't cough up the cost of an assistant when the shoot clearly calls for one. I had an editor tell me to my face that they will not pay for a photo assistant. Then I showed her an invoice from the year before where they paid one of my business partners for that very line item!!!

It's still all over the map everyday, so who know what will happen tomorrow. I can stand the heat becuase I stick to my guns when bad business comes my way. But somebody is going to say yes. I really do think that the photo schools should have a business 101 course in the very first semester. Some do, most do not. And it needs to be drilled into the art students first. Before you make any deal make sure that it benefits you directly.

Now I am going to go and watch some TV, my BP is getting too high.

Also I would like to apologize if I have offended anyone specifically Mr. Shapiro it was un intended. I value his input just like any one and have learned much lerking wihen he responds on this list.

Les