Re: Would you give away a print to a prospective client?

-- snip --
PE's get paid extra by the magazines if they are under budget on buying images. Weston, Adams, and their contemporairies did not have to compete like this.

http://www.editorialphoto.com/

Les

Yes they did!

Worse.

I have a 1909 5X7 Graflex D type, press camera. It's kind of rare, because . . . the photographers used it to bash eachother out of the way like hockey players and often busted up the cameras. Not hard to imaging, because it weights 18 lbs, and so awkward I get light leaks all the time. It's not my earner, just fun.

Go for the corporate clients. You do some portraits on site, in offices; and some product stuff. What that kind of work comes to is they simply don't have time and have to hire somebody.

About stealing pics: I don't have time to flog my work beyond the original sale nor chase thieves down. If they want to take all their time to earn off my picture, give 'em their minimum wage.

When you show your portfolio and a person says, "I saw a picture like that!" That's when you get your pay off by unloading about thievery. If they don't believe you? Do you really want to work for somebody who doesn't believe you?

Flip, next pic.

Steve