RE: Would you give away a print to a prospective client?

Really. So How do I prevent and undercut or freebie from another photographer when I find out after the fact?

So If I gain access to your boxing matches shoot from same vantage point as you with equal skills you won't mind if I follow you around and give away my images to all of your clients. You are banking your statement on one image. (nice shot BTW). Give aways are part of the job under certain circumstances. That is not a concession but a fact. If you only have to compete with 5 or six others that is not too bad. But sports have become so privitized that they severely restrict access, the NBA and NASCAR are two that force photographer to sign over all rights prior to allowing media access.

But the markets I shoot in are up against TV and an influx of amatures with cameras. Wedding photographers get undercut by each other all the time. The example I usually give is the guy who has a full time gig other than shooting and does some photography as a hobby on weekends. He shoots weddings and gives away everything for one low price and then brags how he is just as good as the photographer who charges 2x more.

The magazine wannabees that will give away images so that they can get a byline. They get the byline (at no cost to the magazine) and the next photographer has to contend with that PE for a next to nothing day rate and no space or rights room to negotiate Conde nast comes to mind first. I have seen day rates against space rolll back to pre 1980 prices!!! $350 per day, no space rate and we don't pay for rights we want them all.... is the current mantra. Unless you are a name photographer you are stuck, either do it or it's NEXT.

In case you ahve not noticed gear and gas are not getting any cheaper.

So your image of the muy thai fighters got stolen and reprinted who knows where. What is your plan to prevent that next time you have the one in thousand shot?

Here is my plan:

1. never take a bad deal even if it means walking away.
2. never allow my images to be used outside of the agreement and usage first set up, without extra compensation.
3. never work without a contract prior to starting work
4. never give away work without some sort of compensation that will benefit my business.
5. never allow any of your images to be used for commercial purposes
6 most importantly never return to do business with a publication or client once they have rejected you on a bid for work basis.

PE's get paid extra by the magazines if they are under budget on buying images.  Weston, Adams, and their contemporairies did not have to compete like this.

http://www.editorialphoto.com/

Les