Re: Rotkits, was metadata

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 05:48:11 -0500, Rich Mason <cameratraveler@xxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>"A controversial copy-protection program that automatically installs
>when some Sony BMG audio CDs are played on personal computers is now
>being exploited by malicious software that takes advantage of the
>antipiracy technology's ability to hide files.
>
>"The Trojan horse programs -- three have so far been identified by
>antivirus companies -- are named so as to trigger the cloaking feature
>of Sony's XCP2 antipiracy technology. By piggybacking on that function,
>the malicious programs can enter undetected, security experts said
>Thursday."

Man, I'm sure glad I don't buy CDs anymore. Another good reason to rip Sony off and file share music instead of feeding
Sony's mega greed. I wonder if a warning came on the CD box, or if the whole thing was a surprise to users?

/RANT ON
I'm still pissed at Quicktime for it's installation of a resident program on my computer that will not uninstall and was
not asked for. The fact is, I clicked on NO THANKS DON'T INSTALL. But it installed anyway. Then I could not get rid of
it. I'm not kidding and I will bet money that several of you out there in PC land have this program running right now
and you don't even know it.

I had a raging debate in the newsgroups with a bunch of Apple lunatic who claimed that Quicktime could not and would not
and did not do that. Sorry to say I knew better because it happened to me but I was one of the only ones smart enough to
actually realize what had happened. Afterwards several PC users contacted me saying exactly the same thing happened to
them. I guess Mac users are used to have auto install everything but on my computer anything that is installed I want to
be on my wishes, not hidden.

The thing is too, that the program is supposed to make the loading and playing of Quicktime movies faster. Oh really? I
got a Pentium 4/4Ghz and I need a resident program to speed up the loading and playing of some tiny windowed movie in a
browser - EXCUSE ME?

So there is a legal company Quicktime that has been doing this for years and apparently getting away with it, and most
users who like quicktime and use it don't care less  and in fact don't believe me. I've always hated quicktime and I DO
NOT CARE TO USE IT. The problem lies in the fact that you can't tell a movie is Quicktime until you click on it, and
then you see the window that says you need Quicktime to view this, DO YOU WANT TO INSTALL IT? Too late, it's already an
alien invader and has permanent residence in your machine. You notice a new icon in the system tray with a Quicktime
logo. Clicking it you find out you can't uninstall it. You don't know how it got there because you chose NO, DO NOT
INSTALL.

This surely was the world's first legal virus and nobody knows or cares about it. Sure, I could just join the crowd and
install and use Quicktime, but I DON'T WANT TO USE THE THING AND I DON'T NEED IT THE MOVIES SUCK ANYWAY.

/RANT OFF

--
Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
http://easternbeaver.com/ Motorcycle Relay Kits