Re: metadata

Thanks Bob and all other who replied to my post.

I appreciate the answers and suggestions.

On 11/2/05 10:37 PM, "Bob Talbot" <BobTalbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> There are lots of data in a digital image file that the average EXIF
> viewer
>> doesn't display. I also use Photoshop CS2 and view the metadata
> using either
>> Photoshop itself or Bridge.
>
> I find Hex Editors incredibly useful - "Frhed" is never more than a
> right click away - for revealing all sorts of information within
> files. Indeed, it's my default viewer for unknown files.

Is this hex editor Mac compatible or is it Windows only ?

> The trouble is once "they" start encrypting the files (as opposed to
> compressing) you are screwed.  More exactly, they have screwed you.
> Hex editors are really only of value if the values are in a straight
> format.
>
> If you don't have (or want) hex there's always Microsoft Office and
> VBA.  A few lines of code is all that's needed to hex-dump right into
> a speadsheet. On top of that once you've worked out what's in the
> file - or where it is / how to find it - you're free to collect the
> info where you want it.
>
> Which is precisely why they are starting to encrypt everything.
> Because then you will have to pay/licence the tools to use your own
> images. :o)
>

> Bob
>
> Hex editors for the Mac?
> Excel?

Any ideas on how I can bring a hex file of a RAW image into Excel ? I
thought of using it too since it would be a good choice in terms of all the
functions it offers. How would I be able to import a hex file into Excel and
after that how would I be able to parse the data fields and translate the
contents to ASCII ?

Thanks again for the help.

Best regards,

Joseph