Re: metadata

> There are lots of data in a digital image file that the average EXIF
viewer
> doesn't display. I also use Photoshop CS2 and view the metadata
using either
> Photoshop itself or Bridge.

I find Hex Editors incredibly useful - "Frhed" is never more than a
right click away - for revealing all sorts of information within
files. Indeed, it's my default viewer for unknown files.

The trouble is once "they" start encrypting the files (as opposed to
compressing) you are screwed.  More exactly, they have screwed you.
Hex editors are really only of value if the values are in a straight
format.

If you don't have (or want) hex there's always Microsoft Office and
VBA.  A few lines of code is all that's needed to hex-dump right into
a speadsheet. On top of that once you've worked out what's in the
file - or where it is / how to find it - you're free to collect the
info where you want it.

Which is precisely why they are starting to encrypt everything.
Because then you will have to pay/licence the tools to use your own
images. :o)

Bob

Hex editors for the Mac?
Excel?