Re: PF Exhibits on 27 AUG 05

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:50:00 +0100, Bob Talbot
<BobTalbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>"When I critique a photo, I try and look at its artistic merits only"
>I'd love to read an example of such a critique.  It's easier to be
>inspired by what I'm shown than what I'm told to do.

Here's some examples of what I hate hearing:

"the beak isn't sharp, so the photo is no good"

"the body is blocked by one wing so it sucks"

"classical figure study rules say that is a no no"

"the bird is flying away from the camera, that's a no  no"

"if only the eyes were visible"

etc etc, hate rules, hate em

Which is why I like Jeff's works, and Dan's photo this week. Screw it,
there are no rules, photograph whatever you want, in whatever way you
feel like. And as I said before, just ignore those who throw out rules
as a critique.

I'm just sooooooo tired of seeing the stock stuff, the stuff made by
rules. After all any idjot can get a rule book and a digital camera
and make a great photo, but it's tough to actually be - dare I say
it?, "creative".

All of this has inspired me to change my ways and go against the rules
more often. No no, completely ignore any rules, that's the ticket. Why
not display birds upside down? Put weird backgrounds behind birds?
Print a bird in negative or posturized.

I've been criticized as not producing catalogue grade bird images. Tsk
tsk. Bad me. Bite me.

--
Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
  http://easternbeaver.com/