Re: PF Exhibits on 27 AUG 05

Images at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html  include:

Well, last weeks magnum opus largely fell on deaf ears so I'll be more
economical with my words this week.

Lea Murphy - Lauren Murphy off to college
Lea

Nce portrayal of Lauren I think ... a natural pose, somewhat casual
with a dark neutral background.  Overall it's a bit (slightly) gloomy
for my taste. I played with a couple of things to see if I could
improve it *for me* on *my monitor*.  One was just setting the auto
levels based on a 1-pixel-radius-gaussian-blurred copy-layer.  That
reduced the dominance of her teeth and watch driving down the tones
everwhere else.  The other was just to mask lauren and apply 1.3 gamma
to her selectively (not the background).  Both worked IMO ... but a
big IMO.

It's worth working on this one for sure is what I think I'm saying
.... if the gloom works for you artistically thats fine ...

Emily L. Ferguson - Yesterday we went fishing
Duh! What has RAW got to do with exposure?

Nope Emily, it's OK but not grabbing me.

Qkano - Caz
You should never eat with your mouth open, not in St Mark's Square
(Venice) that's for sure ... the pigeons will take the food right out
of it!!!
Just another snapshot ... is that really the future of photography on
this list?

Renate Volz - After the Rain
First contribution to the gallery?
It is nice to see some new blood amongs the tired old hacks :o)

An interesting image and even more interesting how the theme fits with
Tarot cards?

There is a difficulty in having so much out of focus flower (the cup?)
top right even though the images in the water-drop lenses are cripsly
sharp.  Normally these are shown on twigs where the supports are more
or less in the same plane as the droplets.

Sue Butler -
Second contribution?
For me this is better than your flower shot two weeks ago.
It's an action shot - caught in mid air.  I suspect though it's staged
... not a problem but if so you have more chance to control
differential focaus than you have with a grad shot.

For me I don't mind the slight motion blur on the boy   - it adds to
the sense of action.  The backound however, sharp as it is, does not
enhance the picture.  I cant help feeling two things woulg have
improved this.
1) wider aperture to blur the building (or PhotoShop post capture :o)
2) second-curtain fill flash (US = tailflash?) to raise the tone of
the boy

Dan Cardish -
Nude, not particularly erotic but not too natural (in a believable
sense) either.  Don't get me wrong, I like the picture. There is
something uncomfortable about the posture though (or maybe that's my
old rugger injuries talking).  Thanks for showing ... I'm still
thinking about this one.

Per Ofverbeck - Gingko Leaves
Great shot Per.

One of those times when "less is more".

I like the amount of black BTW.  Resist any suggestions to crop[
tighter in.

Was it a velvet background or is there some post-capture tonal
adjustments at play?

I like it.

Judy Curiel - Passion Flower
Another newcomer?

Welcome to PF.

Passion flowers are wonderful photographic subjects and you've
captured this one quite well.
If you want to imprive it, consider using a reflector below (and to
the right) to bounce some light back up into the face of the flower.,
maybe.

It's a competant shot, sure, but it has a little room for improvement
(in my eyes) over control of direction and quality of lighting.

At leat with flowers you have a chance to try again.

Elson T. Elizaga - Newlyweds
Oh Elson ... I know you can be a great photographer (seriously) but
this shot misses for me.  "If only" the focus was on the couple not on
the back of the phtographer's head!
Was this failure of AF or an artistic decision?

Either way it would have been an ace candid if they were in focus.

Tim Holmes - Global Flyer
What an absolutely fantastic capture/presentation of this plane.
Taken from the ground you say?  Unbelievable ... I was convinced you
were flying alongside.

Excellent shot.

Bob Sull - Who called this meeting?
First contribution to the gallery?
I'm sure I remember "Whiskey Ait India Mike and Oscar" on both PF a
few years ago (?)

Is this really your first contribution.?

I like the idea of the shot - the general arrangement - but when there
are insects in the picture I want them to be sharp.  The focus seems
to be on the front petals - which would work for a flower-only shot
but personally I find the out of focus bees a distraction ...

> There were close to 600 clicks to the exhibit last week.
WOW.  Thats double last weeks!

One of the highest for a long time?

Bob