Dan Cardish's gallery image

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/cardish.html

I read a few comments on this one, vague in my mind as that process took
place last night, but I'm having a look at the image now.

A couple of things occur to me, which may or may not viewed as constructive
criticism or just opinion.  The first is that if I place my hand over the
lower half of the image, separating it such that I can't see the lady's
legs then I find a very appealing image - with obvious pleasing compression
introduced by the use of a long lens.  If I then cover the top and view the
bottom half I find a distorted perspective and it looks like a pair of
short, fat midget legs..

Like an optical illusion, the bottom half causes me to expect something
different in the image and a conflict is established.  Bear in mind that I
bring my own baggage to this image without knowing the scene or the lady.
If I were the author I might find myself pleased with this shot for the
elements I want to see and *like* to see, and I may hide from myself that
which is displeasing or in conflict..  Like an 'up the nose' shot I might
see the beautiful girl and not the cavernous nostrils that dominate the
image.

I *don't* see an image of someone relieving themself, I also don't see any
discomfort or pain - in fact it looks very calm and natural and were *any*
woman to be squatting down on a rock looking over a stream or such in
contemplation, they'd look pretty much the same sans clothes (!)

however, knowing the compression characteristics of a long lens I might
choose to arrange the ladies legs such that they do not suffer the optical
illusion of compression along their length.

my 2 bobs worth

<kompulsive kropper>