Re: Gallery of 30th July

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:40:18 +0100, Qkano <wildimages@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote/replied to:

>I'm sure your photo was a "honest" capture but to me I can't find the
>featureless #FFFFFF sky attractive.  Now I know that you need 2-stops
>more exposure than you'd think photographing such birds looking up
>into the sky - and that's probably what's given it the white - but I'd
>still prefer a bit of blue.
>
>How's about:
>
>http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/photoforum/xmas/davis-3a.jpg
>

>Oh heck, it's a nice capture of the bird anyway ... I love it's
>smashed tail feathers .

I should be using the Better Beamer more, and could have got that same
photo honestly in the first place. If there had been a blue sky that
is...

But, that's a hassle for sure carrying the big flash and mounting the
beemer. Plus the sky was of course white and featureless on that day,
same as most this time of year in Japan.

I never would have though that you, Bob, would be so eager to falsify
a photo by adding a sky like this. And in the end, it rather detracts
from the subject. I don't see the need of that sky to be frank. The
pure white gives a starker more mean look to the bird of prey
methinks.

--
Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
  http://easternbeaver.com/