Re: Gallery of 30th July - Jim's Hawk

Jim

> I never would have though that you, Bob, would be so eager to
falsify
> a photo by adding a sky like this.
Mea Culpa.

But Jim, the aim was not to "falsify", in the sense of deceive, but to
illustrate what I view would have been a better finished product had
you been able to capture it that way at the time :o)

As to falsification: of reality that was done by your camera.

The sky was almost certainly NOT a featureless pure white.  That it
was recorded without detail is presumably a technical restriction
(compromise?) of the medium.  Perhaps negative film would have
retained more of that - it has a fantastic latitiude ;o)    As shown
in the gallery (OK,it was a jpeg) not 1 single pixel of it was
anything less than #FFFFFF.

> And in the end, it rather detracts
> from the subject. I don't see the need of that sky to be frank.
That's your view and it's your photo ...

I still prefer it - and I'd be interested what others think comparing
the two.

Straight Photo:
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/davis-1.jpg
Fraudulent background:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/photoforum/xmas/davis-3a.jpg

Maybe "that sky" (that particular one) does detract but it's just the
first one I had to hand.  For more "reality" I'd probably go for a
cloudy sky shown near-white (whilst still retaining some detail) as I
presume the photo wasn't taken on a day with a clear sky.

>The pure white gives a starker more mean look to the bird of prey
> methinks.
I've never seen a pure white sky.  Even on overcast days there is
texture (rippling) in the clouds.  Without that it does distract.  It
does not look like a "straight" photo even if it is. .   I bet some
here think your shot looks like it's been cut out from a real sky and
pasted on a white background.

Bob