Re: Finishing film; was Re: test

OK, Bob, I did write that "some" adapt to the new while "others" sit down and moan. Of course there is (at least) a third, far from unpopular, position: stay with what you´ve got, use it while supplies last, and do a good job of it. You seem to have taken that position; I respect those who do, and hope they can hold out for as long as they wish. Personally, I thought this would be my position as well, but repeated, more or less playful, contact with digital made me see its potential, and finally I found I had adapted.

Of course I lost something in the move, like the ability to give slide shows (nothing digital will still touch a good projector loaded with good Velvia shots), the enormous, creamy detail in a 4"x5", or even 120 neg (possible with digital - if you pay a fortune), the independence of batteries, e.g. But I gained a lot of equally important things: the ability to fine-tune pictures to an extent unknown in the wet darkroom (mind you, I´m NOT talking of "faking" or "compositing" images), the far lighter equipment that lets me walk more, and experience the world more fully (and that is the very source of all worthwhile images, whether paintings, silver, or digital).

For me, there´s no way back, although I very occasionally load my old TLR Rollei or Leicaflex SL with film. And, on a long enough timescale, I have no doubt that most photographers will take the same path. For the next few years, however, it should be perfectly possible to stay with silver, so anyone inclined to do so: Good luck!

But neither group has any business bashing the other. Photography is not religion, and it certainly isn´t football! Walk in peace!

Regards,

Per Öfverbeck
http://foto.ofverbeck.se