Re: Finishing film; was Re: test

Robert M <written_by@xxxxxxx> writes:

> I can sell the Hasselblad, the boat load of lenses, the M3/M4 and
> the Visioflex stuff. I can sell everything I own for more money. You
> cannot say the same thing about your digital camera. It is outdated
> almost as soon as you bought it. If by outdated, you mean megapixels
> and the like. Something better will come along.

I bought a Fuji Finepix S2 Pro at the very end of 2002 (it arrived
30-Dec).  I noticed they had one for sale in the camera department at
Best Buy last week, and the price tag on it was considerably more than
1/2 what I paid for mine over 2 years ago.  You could buy better
cameras at the time I bought it (though not in Nikon mount for
anywhere near the price IMHO, hence my choice), you can buy better
cameras today, the best today are better than the best then.  But this
one is still in the range that's sold to people for real use.

> I often use my 486 laptop with 8 mb of ram and a forty mb hard drive. I use
> it quite a bit. Perhaps useless to many, absolutely ideal for me.

I've got one sort of like that, but I haven't used it in years, as
it's useless to me; won't run X Windows, let alone any kind of photo
editing environment.  Finally bought a new laptop earlier this year.
For $600, brand new.

> And "fossils" like me prefer to wait perhaps a year and buy a far better
> camera and computer than you did for half the price. Or three months, for
> that matter.

As I've been telling people since 1985, the best time to buy a new
computer is 6 months from now.  True for digital cameras since they've
been available, too.