Re: Finishing film; was Re: test

margaret lucas <maggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> okay, so i shot without teh focus (again...). please accept my
> apologies Per. one single malt coming your way. my question
> remains. why is there so much dick'eadery about digital? or am i
> hallucinating again? it never happened? no one pokes fun at digital?
> no implies there is some sort of character defect if you don't use
> film?

I have no idea.  In the broader context of the Internet in general, I
certainly observe a lot of it, and I've never understood why.

I understand perfectly well people not rushing to spend extra money
and change processes that have worked for them for years.  That's
completely different from a lot of the total non-rational rejection of
digital imaging that I see.  There are certainly many niches where
film is easier, cheaper, or in other ways "better" than digital as of
today (especially if you already own the film-based equipment), and
many of those people will be best-served by continuing to work with
film for some time yet.

I'm not prepared to accuse any individual here of having a totally
irrational rejection of digital imaging, so I can't ask anybody to try
to explain why they feel that way.

I imagine some people still shooting film are thinking digital *might*
work better for them, but are unwilling to spend the time and money to
make the change and find out right now.  And probably some people
expect that digital *will* become right for them in the next few
years, but aren't ready to spend the time and money to make the leap
now.  That kind of conservatism is *entirely* rational, and I have no
quarrel with it in general.

Personally, I've been shooting mostly digitally since 2000, and
working with my film images scanned into the computer for at least 5
years before that.  It suits my needs excellently.