Re: Linux

Okay, the gimp does not have color profile management, but what I have
in the Gimp, combined with some trial and error and doublechecking
results on my screen with print results from my local print shop
(Pune, India) gives me great results.

These photos aren't meant for giving to a publisher, so it works okay for me!

(using linux since 1995 and kernel 0.99  . so stability isn't an issue
for me. it has been the only OS for me after a brief stint with
Windows 3.11 on DOS 6)

warm regards,
Aalhad
www.treklens.com/members/aalhad

On 5/3/05, Steve Harris <dshlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Check out Linspire at
> http://www.linspire.com/
> It is stable, you can download software,
> and it's great for using Gimp and Nvu for building websites.
> I only run Windows 2K for Adobe programs (i.e., Audition, Photoshop) and
> my minidisc programs.
> It's a snap to install.
> Steve Harris
> www.harrisfoto.com
>
> On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 02:52, Peeter Vissak wrote:
> > 4    And is Linux that stable anyway?
> >

> > > Having got QImage and PS to print pretty well (my wife approves -
> > > though her name is not Greta MacBeth - and that counts!) I'm loath to
> > > fiddle, but I hate windows so much!
> > >
> > > Howard
> > >

> > Just try it out with some fresh version of, say, Knoppix distro. You can
> > download these anywhere and burn Your own CD. These usually include GIMP
> > among tons of other software.
> > If You like it You may install it permanently - either as Your only
> > platform or include it into some multiple boot system. You may also
> > consider Solaris 10, that is free and is said to support all Linux progs.
> >
> > Peeter

     "Don't worry & fret, fainthearted,
      The chances have just begun,
      For the best jobs haven't been started,