Gallery Review of 20050115

The PhotoForum gallery was updated JAN 15 2005.
Stuff on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
includes:

Robert G. Earnest -
As an advertising image (the logo top right is a clue methinks) this
is really effective - no less than I would expect from one of PF
leading members in America. I'd love a run-down on how it was created:
two images or three?.  The lighting is a bit inconsistent in my eyes.
The cyclist seems to be lit from above left yet the 'scrapers are lit
from the left.

As a pure pictorial image (the "would I hang it on my wall?" question,
it's not grabbing be.  I like it, but it's not good enough to sit in
that position.

Greg Fraser - Hwy 3
Clever shot greg - I note your spirit level is a bit out (or were you
following the Fuji method of increasing the number of pixels your
camera can record
Very good use of the diagonal, a picture from almost nothing I
suspect.
Yes, really like this.

Qkano - NABS
Yawn, not another bloody sunset.
When you've seen one, you've seen 'em all!

Terry L. Mair - Cotton Woods on Spring creek
Good shot - shame about the copyright.  It would have been less
intrusive if it had been less, blue.
Maybe as a semi-transparent neutral tone overlay?

Anyway, the picture.
Interesting lack of distinction between snow and sky.
Like the curve of the stream leading to the reverse-diagonal bushes.
The feature that lifts this for me though - the animal tracks leading
to the stream add a harsh reminder of the difficulties animals face in
such conditions.

John Mason - Figures by Allan Hauser
John, OPA photos always seem to get a hard time in reviews.  The thing
for me is looking to see what of the photographer lies in the photo
and what is just contibuted by the OPA itself.  I do think this is an
effective picture.  The selective focus, whether by wide aperture or
selctive gaussian later, works.  The arrangement of the two bits of
OPA works too.  It's well recorded and presented.

Barry Marsh - Ichthyosaur Skull (part)
This is clearly not presented for it's pictorial qualities either: the
scale bar suggests to me it's scientific record.
It's professionally recorded and presented. it has a 3D effect to it:
indeed, if I was doing such records for a living, I would be taking
pairs of images with a 3D camera too. I'd seriously like to cross my
eyes to appreciate the structure of this specimen.

Emily L. Ferguson -
It's simplicity is effective, but it's not exciting me much.  That
is - no chance it would go on my wall I'm afraid.
It needs something, a gull or a cloud maybe, to break the monotony of
the blue sky.

Laurenz Bobke - Evening Train
How long did you wait for the train, or was it just chance it came by?
This is how to use a sunset unlike the other crap one.  Use it for the
strength and interest in the silhouettes.

I'd never have guessed Paris
Was it really that yellow in your memory - I thought such skies only
appeared due to industrial pollution.

David Small - Coffee break
Last time I said good to have you back: this time it's good to have
you back on form.  Without knowledge of the author I'd have probably
guessed this was one by Jeff Spirer: believe me, that is a compliment.

This is a really nice, moody shot.

The chap just look's dodgy.  Is he wearing a plastic glove to hold
that drink?  Why?
A criminal, or an undercover cop, or maybe just a bloke on a cold
morning.

Trevor Cunningham - neighbor's kid
Darn it, I see no goat.

First the patently bleeding obvious, the uprights are not vertical and
I'm reading no artistic reason for them being out of kilter. Squaring
the image up improves it for me.

Well, it has some mystery - what is that he has on his head - but it
lacks any detail in the shadows.

I'm happy with it as an image - but again, it's not jumping beyond
that.

Leslie Spurlock - Billy, A Rebel
Thinks: do you always ask permission to photograph a man with a gun?

I bet his mum loves him, mums are like that.
His eyes certainly grab you.  The bloke standing to the left does
nothing for the picture though. It would have been far better without.

Peeter Vissak -
Beautiful capture of a piece of driftwood.
Interesting colours amongst the roots