Gallery Review of 20041218

Stuff on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

Trevor Cunningham - dahab mosque
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/cunningham.html
<<this is one of my first attempts at the cyanotype process...doing
this in egypt is not as easy as one may think, although the sun does
shine more often than not...digital scanning does not do it
justice...any thoughts? >>
Clearly you should go digital - this just shows how poor the
resolution of traditonal processes always was ;o)
I know amost nothing about Cyanotype - perhaps Terry A King will
comment on that.  This presentation has an aged look, apart from the
loudspeaker on the tower.  As a historical curio such pictures will
always have a place.

Don Roberts - As They Passed
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/droberts.html
<<Since they were communal, most things were owned by the society.
There were no family plots; each person was given the next grave site
in the line as they died.>>
As with Emily's picture next: I don't want to comment on this as if it
was inteded to be pictorial; alongside the text it's a snippet of
micro-history. Is there a differecne between communal and communist?
Were they persecuted under McCarthy?  As  a picture of graves this
does not have the impact of those war graves from Nothern France Maybe
there is too much space between the tombstones.  The levels look a bit
washed out on my monitor.

Emily L. Ferguson - Prayer flags
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/ferguson.html
<<Additional details: A quick shot with the 10D just to show the
conclusion of the project. They look kinda nice, if I don't say so
myself!>
Becuase I've read the background to these flags I can't look at this
as a "pictorial" of "artistic" shot. It's more a record of completion.
In that sense I wish you had zoomed in tighter on the flags.  OTOH,
the woodwork of the building has me wanting you to zoom out so I can
see the architecture: those wooden verandas are not common in the UK.
The flags sure are fun though.

Tim Holmes - Castle Geyser
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/holmes.html
<<This image was taken during a Kodak photo walk in the Upper Geyser
Basin at Yellowstone National Park. The backlighting of the subject
was the focus of the discussion at this particular stop in the walk.
Image has been cropped in Photoshop CS>>
I have to get a bit "picky" over the last sentence: does it matter
whether an image was cropped in CS, Paint Shop Pro or IrfanView?  Does
one program crop pixels more kindly than another?  I always think the
same when I read descriptions that say "Gitzo tripod", or Leica ...
Most of the time the make/model of the equipment has absolutely no
bearing on whether the shot as presented works or not.  It's almost as
if saying "Canon D1s" somehow is there to seed the viewer  that the
author is a "pro".  Or maybe I'm just bitter and twisted because I
can't afford CS and have to present all my images cropped in PhotoShop
5 ;o(

Dang, lets get back to the shot:  it's about backlighting? This
picture does not say that to me.  I like the geyser, the foreground
and most of the background.  Looking at the crowds I'm gueesing you
don't have much control over where you can stand to take the shot: ie
you can't go closer.  It leaves me thinking I should go to see a
geyser before I die.  Such natural phenomena are a reminder that no
matter how powerful we think we are the forces inside the earth, or of
nature in general, could at any time bring us down

Christopher Strevens - John
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/strevens.html
Why do you do this to me Chris?  This looks like it would have been an
interesting portrait: that was until you started messing it about.
The chap appears to have an interesting "character face".  The
presentation - almost as always - leaves me cold.  I guess it's just
"different strokes for different folks" (as they say in the coronary
care ward ;).  I do wish I could see before and after on this one
though.

Bob Talbot - Launch
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/talbot.html
Well, the title was almost "waiting" but I remembered having used that
one before for something totally different
What I remember was the water was bluddy cold and I only had a basic
wetsuit.  Ours was the last of 4 boats to be launched: later that day
one of my diving buddies got picked up in a helicopter from Mullion
Cove ...

Happy Christmas: is there a seasonal gallery this year?