Re: Gallery Review of 20041218

Bob Talbot wrote:
Stuff on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

Don Roberts - As They Passed
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/droberts.html
<<Since they were communal, most things were owned by the society.
There were no family plots; each person was given the next grave site
in the line as they died.>>
As with Emily's picture next: I don't want to comment on this as if it
was inteded to be pictorial; alongside the text it's a snippet of
micro-history. Is there a differecne between communal and communist?

A semantic nuance I suspect.

Were they persecuted under McCarthy?

They had dissolved the communal nature of the society a generation before McCarthy and his atrocities began.

As a picture of graves this
does not have the impact of those war graves from Nothern France

Not many pictures carry the emotional baggage of those photos. Or places.

Maybe
there is too much space between the tombstones.  The levels look a bit
washed out on my monitor.

Actually, this was a quickie submitted to help the Gallery fill space. The original is in color and I have never been happy with it. I tried a quick BW conversion, liked it better but sent it before I really had a chance to view and tweak as much as I would have liked to.
Don

As an aside I have to comment that I am still puzzling over Trevor's comment about "dead commies. How patriotic." Paraphrased. How was that meant? Was it as snide as it came across. I expected more from that review. I let it slide for a while but now have to mention it. This was a communal society, not Stalinesque or Maoist. Many communes have existed in the past; are they all subjects of hatred or scorn. I see them as noble experiments that don't meet the test of human nature.

Don Roberts * Bittersweet Productions * Iowa City, IA
* *
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. -- Martin Luther King