Re: truth and public sentiment

>   Surely the traditional image has always been capable of a lie.
Multiple printing, selective cropping, editorial choice of one
deceptive image from several telling a different story, altering the
actual prints obtained from the same negative, even altering the
negative - it's all been done before. And so well that often no-one
would ever know.
> And since you or I never would be able to see the negatives, those
"traces" of so-called reality, it's little different in my mind to
altering a digital image.

That's the problem: the paradigm shift to the state where we can no
longer distinguish (on an honesty axis) between choosing where to
point a camera (choice of viewpoint and lens) and a totally fictional
composit of images. That photos were not a perfect representation of
reality was of course accepted: at least the discrepancy was
objective.

As to the forensic evidence: seriously, by traditional means the
evidence was always there: it was impossible to hide.  With digital
that is truly no longer the case.  In a composite image, saved as a
jpeg, what finite evidence there might have been is confounded by the
compression.  It is truly impossible to tell (unless someone overdoes
the cloning)

Quoting from:
http://www.archivists.org/glossary/term_details.asp?DefinitionKey=50

<<<<
photograph

All images constitute a record, irrespective of the value we may
attach to the information they contain. The unique property of
photographic records reside in their ability to capture a moment in
time and to highlight the inevitable passing of time. Although the
setting and depth of vision that are chosen already imply a certain
voluntary or arbitrary selection, the photographic lens perceives and
records the space in a homogeneous manner and it is this global view
that can provide us with useful information, sometimes capturing
details not even intended by the photographer himself.

While the visual authority of the photograph is now increasingly
undermined by the wizardry of digital technology, the 'truthfulness of
facts' in a photograph has always been presumed to reside in its
verisimilitude. Ever since Paul Delaroche purportedly exclaimed, 'From
today, painting is dead,' the photograph has been perceived as an
objective record of reality, the product of a mechanical and therefore
neutral means of documentation. . . . Photographs derive the authority
of their content from realism and accuracy, what J. B. Harley calls
'talismans' of authority; archival photographs convey their message
through function and context. . . . The photograph is neither truth
nor reality, but a representation willed into existence for a purpose
and mediated by the persons concurring in its formation.

"verisimilitude"  Wow!  What a word ;o)

Seriously, 10 y ago the perception was that photos didn't lie.  Sure,
they could be economical with the truth, they could provide only one
point of view if not the whole truth - but at least what they did show
was generally taken as honest. Today, who cares? WMD - oops, no WMD.
Who gives a stuff.  The new reality replaces the old without mention.

Bob