Re: Does Digital Rebel make for a good educational camera in your opinion?

"James B. Davis" <jbdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:06:41 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@xxxxxxxx>
> wrote/replied to:
>
>>> Try adjusting the 'levels' of a JPG after you get it back home in PS.
>>> Check histogram...
>>
>>Sure, I do that all the time.  Yes, I can see it in the histogram --
>>but the question is, can you see it in the *print*?
>
> I guess the real question here is 'does it matter to you'? It matters
> to me. I always want to maximize my image quality.

A difference that can't be measured isn't a difference.  If this
improvement in quality can't be detected in a double-blind study by
viewers, then it's not real.

That said, I'm somewhat playing devil's advocate here.  I think we'd
all say we want the best images (though some of us clearly work harder
/ spend more time / spend more money to get there).  But perhaps the
ability to shoot 109 images instead of 19 on a card makes more
difference than the extra quality from RAW vs. fine jpeg.  And the
drawbacks of jpeg matter less the more perfectly the scene is lit and
exposed in the first place.