Re: Does Digital Rebel make for a good educational camera in your opinion?

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:00:59 -0700, Jeff Spirer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote/replied to:

>This isn't my experience.  A friend of mine shoots for Fashion Wire (here's
>one of his -
>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040911/1889/fwd115b20040911jpg&e=41&ncid=),
>he's been working events with anywhere from 20 to 50 other photographers
>(he says half the job is elbowing and kicking to get the best position) and
>he and all the other photographers are shooting jpg.  I've heard this about
>some sports photographers too.  If properly set up, the highest jpg setting
>can give as good a photo as RAW for the applications they're
>doing.  There's no time to process, not even enough time to download.
>
>For the band shots I do, I've switched to jpg - I don't have time to
>process 100 shots for them.
>
>In the studio, where's there may be more time, that's different.

I've tried JPG a few times, always with disappointment at the results.
I you're happy with inferior images, or like the sports guys you
mention you must shoot JPG, then go ahead and shoot JPG.

I shoot JPG if I'm shooting for the web, otherwise I use Capture One
and RAW always. I like having a big, fat 16 bit range of tones to
manipulate. Never met an image that didn't get better with
manipulation. (tweaking)

--
Jim Davis, Nature Photography
http://jimdavis.oberro.com/