Re: Does Digital Rebel make for a good educational camera in your opinion?

Jeff Spirer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> At 09:40 AM 9/14/2004, Emily L. Ferguson wrote:
>> And, of course, your students will need to learn to manage RAW,
>> since most pros are shooting in it in my experience.
>
> This isn't my experience.  A friend of mine shoots for Fashion Wire
> (here's one of his -
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040911/1889/fwd115b20040911jpg&e=41&ncid=),
> he's been working events with anywhere from 20 to 50 other
> photographers (he says half the job is elbowing and kicking to get the
> best position) and he and all the other photographers are shooting
> jpg.  I've heard this about some sports photographers too.  If
> properly set up, the highest jpg setting can give as good a photo as
> RAW for the applications they're doing.  There's no time to process,
> not even enough time to download.

The article on www.robgalbraith.com about Sports Illustrated's first
all-digital Superbowl reports nearly all the photographers shooting in
RAW+jpeg mode there.  Which seemed excessive to me, too -- the fine
JPEG setting would be *fine* for a magazine cover photo, especially
since a number of photographers were shooting more than 6mp cameras.

> For the band shots I do, I've switched to jpg - I don't have time to
> process 100 shots for them.

Yeah, that gets to be an issue.

> In the studio, where's there may be more time, that's different.

On the other hand, the studio is where I'm least likely to need to
salvage wonky exposure and color-balance later.