Does Digital Rebel make for a good educational camera in your opinion?

RE: Canon Digital Rebel w/18-55mm zoom

I am seeking feedback on this particular camera model as we have a plan to buy
10 of these for use in a freshman photography course. Does anyone who has one
of them found significant flaws in workmanship, durability, usefulness, etc.?

This plan has been criticized on the basis that the camera came out over a year
ago and that its plastic body is prone to breakage and that we should instead
buy fewer but more rugged cameras with more features such as the Nikon D70 or
the Canon 20D.

In the film world I seem to recall that many schools had Pentax K1000s for
checkout to students. Pretty basic if you ask me. Is there a correlation here?

Andy

Andrew Davidhazy, Professor
School of Photographic Arts and Sciences/RIT
andpph@xxxxxxx    http://www.rit.edu/~andpph