Re: Does Digital Rebel make for a good educational camera in your opinion?

Well, I don't know at all whether the Rebel is much flimsier than the D70. But I suppose, were it I, trying to get the next-to-the-bottom-of-the-line might be a better tack to take here. The D100 seems to be a substantial object.

My experience with the 10D includes working with RAW files and having to use, still at present, Canon's proprietary software, which seems lame and irritating. Although I've got an upgrade copy of CS I can't use it because I can't find my original unregistered CD of PS 5.5, so I can't tell you how CS works at unravelling Canon's RAW files, although surely it must be better.

In addition the newer Canon Capture One apparently does a vastly more sophisticated job with the RAW files. The price tag for that is out of my reach at present also.

And, of course, your students will need to learn to manage RAW, since most pros are shooting in it in my experience.

I will say that I perceive more JPEG loss in JPEG fine mode on my 10D than I perceived with the D100. Can't tell you why, but on a visual inspection that's what I think I've been seeing.

Finally, based on this summer's shooting side by side with many news and action sports pros, the Nikon is not going to be the platform to invest in in the future. Perhaps using the Canon would be better training for the future for your students too.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx