Re: Be careful what you wish for!

At 01:34 AM 8/24/2004, wildimages@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Real life is all about muted colours: it's flat.  Traditional
film spent too long chasing accuracy - we don't want that.  We want spice!

This is odd, many people have complained that film has been heading towards an overly saturated look for the last fifteen years or so since Velvia was introduced. Other than the need for low contrast, low saturation portrait films, it's been all about the "spice." It's not new with digital.

However, I'd argue that "accuracy" is irrelevant outside of scientific work - for years, photography was black and white, hardly representative of the real world, and much of photography has been seen as an "impression" of things rather than the things themselves.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/
Surfaces and Marks: http://www.withoutgrass.com