Re: Canon 10D back focus (was: Digital Photography)

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 08:35:57 +0100, Bob Talbot
<BobTalbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>I don't think the 10D problem is all hysteria: enough reliable people
>have reported it even if  perhaps a large fraction may not have
>spotted it without the internet hoo-hah.

I think many people who bought 10d cameras were new to an SLR. Because
it turned out many did not actually have a problem, they just didn't
read the manual to figure out how AF actually works.

Heck, many people started reporting problems after they read about it
on the net, they wouldn't ever have noticed otherwise. I have found
that it's about par with my old EOS 55, which is to say not perfect
but very good.

The thing is too, people seem to have expected the performance of a
Pro EOS, but they didn't pay for it. I haven't heard about any problem
with the 1D or 1DS cameras' AF.

You know one can get a good used EOS 1V for the price of a 10d. But
unfortunately, you're stuck with those little film cannisters
thingies... proving once again that AF isn't everything in a camera. A
lot of people are now trying to sell their 1Vs without success.

One day I'll be upgrading to a Pro body, but in the meanwhile I think
the 10d is one heck of a great camera.

--
Jim Davis, Nature Photography
http://jimdavis.oberro.com/