Re: Canon 10D back focus (was: Digital Photography)

<<<The thing is too, people seem to have expected the performance of a
Pro EOS, but they didn't pay for it. I haven't heard about any problem
with the 1D or 1DS cameras' AF.>>>

If I'd just pursuaded my boss to let me buy a 1Ds the last thing I would want to do would be to admit the focus was "a little off" ;o)

Seriously Jim, you can read this both ways but whicher you do two simple facts appear.

1) On many 10D cameras focus is off.
2) The internet has lead to an avalanche of complaints.

It's whether " is cause or effect that is at question.
a) hysteria: seeking an explanation when one lies closer to home (your first SLR hypothesis)
b) strength in numbers: 10D buyers who were thinking *they* were doing somethiong wrong were actually not alone.  The avalange was actually there, just waiting for the first stone to fall.

The bit that really bugs me though is the old "pro vs amateur" excuse.  In UK trading standards law there is no such get-out.  Indeed "amateur" film cameras from Canon and others work - the reported (note your caveats) flaws if they are real suggest the 10D does not match the performance of existing models. Pro vs Amateur is lame.  Does it say on the bow: WARNING: this camera may not focus as well as you might expect ?  ;o)

Bob

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/