Re: Canon 10D back focus (was: Digital Photography)

The "back focus problem" is complained about on the web a lot. Off the web, there doesn't seem to be much validation of a "back focus problem." This issue comes from several things:

1) A lot of people are buying their first SLR and blame all sorts of problems on their lack of experience. The majority of the complaints I have seen about "back focus problems" have included photos that show *nothing* in focus. Usually, it's camera shake. A recent example on the web complained that something ten feet behind a person in the photograph was in focus. In fact, something in front of the person was in focus.

2) One real problem is that the focusing sensor is slightly larger than the focusing point indicator on the screen. As a result, it is important to be more careful with the focusing point.

3) The web is a feeding frenzy. Like I said above, photographers who aren't reading web forums seem to have cameras that focus fine. On the web, everyone is getting bent and looking at every photo that is improperly focused or a victim of camera shake and thinking that Canon will solve their incompetency problems.

This probably started from something real but very limited and got out of hand from internet word of mouth, based on everything I've seen. My own experience with the 10D shows that you have to be careful about the focus point and it doesn't find a focus point in low light levels. This is very different from back focus, however.