Re: Canon 10D back focus (was: Digital Photography)

I don't think I have this problem, but does it occur if one changes the zoom without refocusing, or does it happen even if one refocuses after zooming the lens? None of my lenses, all Canon, one L series, seem to have the ability to change the "back focus." (As described in

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/camera/howto/back-focus.html, for example.)

Roger

The "back focus problem" is complained about on the web a lot. Off
the
 web, there doesn't seem to be much validation of a "back focus
 problem."
I've seen it demonstrated very effectively - now where is that url?

2) One real problem is that the focusing sensor is slightly larger
than the
focusing point indicator on the screen. As a result, it is
important to be
more careful with the focusing point.
A minor problem: thankfully not one I get with the EOS 1n.  Having got
used the the focussing sensor of a film camera "doing what it says on
the box"  I would be a bit miffed to find that the next-generation
technology was not up to scratch!!!!

>The problem is due in part to the fact that Canon does not consider
the 10D
>is a "professional" camera (it was never advertised as such).
Professionals are just people who sell their talents: the same
talents. often, others are happy to provide for free ;o)
Of course, it wasn't always true: there used to be "the professions"
where you needed years of training before you would call yourself one.
Today there are pros stood on most street corners ;o)

I think the mistake people have is in the misapprehension that AF
stands for auto-focus: its auto-cratic!

Bob

PS: Jeff, your confessions have weakend my appreciation of your work. Never again will I be impressed by your timing, selection of viewpoint etc etc. I'll just guess it was made in the computer.

-- _______________________________________ R. Eichhorn Professor Emeritus University of Houston Fax: 713-743-4503 Tel: 713-743-4383 email: eichhorn@xxxxxx