Re: Angling for images

Colleagues,
Let's not get the discussion carry us too far away from the original AZ
statement:
Quote:
>If you believe as I do that images are all out there and that their
>subject is in effect the viewer who has learned the conventions of
>casting about for them...

The fatal flaw here resides in the second part of the sentence, that is the
identification of the net caster.  In a rather common trait of the human
race, AZ states without even a blink that the photograph is the outcome of a
decision from the human being holding the camera.

I personally hold a very different view.  If you very carefully look at the
decisive moment, then it becomes very clear that it is the images out there
that cast their net for the right photographer, one that will bring them out
of nowhere to immortality.

But it's a jungle out there.  There are all these images that want to make
it to the front and at least get their 15 minutes of glory.  Some have more
skills than others in the rat race for survival and they will catch a HCB in
their net.  Others will  catch a local photojournalist and perhaps make it
to page 5 of the sports section or remain in archive in one of hundreds of
boxes of contact sheets.  Then there are the millions of images that can't
manage to catch better than some unknown figure that will take them to the
local minilab and put them in a drawer until the big clean-up.

But with digital, they now have to be very careful to pick the right guy,
otherwise they will experience the worse of all fates, that of being just
"flushed out" from the camera.  Ho!  What an horriffic fate...

So the next time you are about to click your shutter,  watch out!  Don't let
just any image catch you in their net!   -:))

Regards,

Guy Glorieux
Pinhole photographer and
maker of blurred, mis-aligned facsimile