Re: Digital Photography

In a message dated 07/08/2004 09:08:06 GMT Standard Time, shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

BTW, photographers were not looked down apon by artists at the dawn of
photography,

Unfortunately many people think that 'artist' means 'painter'
This rather neglects the sculptors, etchers, musicians and photographers who produce art.

Many photographers over many years have insisted on this false distinction. This has led to a strange inferiority complex where   photographers regard the views of painters with some kind of reverential awe no matter how bad the painter.

To me artists are those who are also masters of their craft.

Incidentally, a curator once advised me that  photographers wishing to sell photographs as art should describe themselves as 'artist pgotographers' In practical terms, this was good advice.

Terry.

Terry King FRPS

RPS Historical Group (Chairman)

www.hands-on-pictures.com/