Re: Digital Photography

> This may be simplistic but "photography" means "painting with light"
> or something to that effect.  Nowhere is the medium mentioned.  Why
> should digital photographers then not have the same status as those
> who employ film and paper?

I have to agree.. As much as i'm no fan of the wholesale adoption of
digital, throwing the baby out with the bathwater and turning one's back on
alternative formats, photography is many things to many people.

we are all practitioners of various processes that fall under the broad
banner of photography whether we be casual snappers, dedicated artists,
hacks, skilled pros or mums and dads keen on preserving memories.  NOT in
this category are photographic paraphenalia collectors who shoot nought and
simply delight in possessing trinkets and valuable assets!

digital or film, light recorders are what we are.

BTW, photographers were not looked down apon by artists at the dawn of
photography, this came later after the mindset that developed when an
unfortunate sequence of events led both the photographic aparatus AND the
resulting images to be displayed in the same area as steam engines and farm
implements during the first world trade fair in London that introduced
photography to the world.  Prior to this mistake photographers were seen as
artists in the very truest sense .. turn back the clock and move those
displays into the fine art area where they were  *supposed* to be displayed
and I suspect it would all have been very different.

karl