Re: Attn: Howard--->Re: Upsizing Digital Files

Hi Tony - my daughter has a similar problem, in her case her clients want 8*10 but the best format is actually 6.67*10 as you suggest.
This is my technique but someone out there will have a better one!

   First, I would get the image size so that the image's smaller side
   is 8"  (Image menu - Image size dialogue box. Make sure resampling
   is OFF).
   Second, I would then use the crop tool to trim the image longer side
   to 10"

Print preview can only operate on the original image size. It will allow you to enlarge or reduce the actual print size, but constrained to the ratio of the image dimensions.
To do this, in print preview,
untick the "centre image" box,
tick the "show bounding" box
with the cursor inside the box, change its location on the page until you can see the bounding boxes
use the handles around the image to change the image size

Good luck

Howard

Tony wrote:

Hi
I am a newbie so I hope this isn't a stupid question. I use PS CS and when I tried resizing in the "print preview" it limited me to the size I could make it. In other words I shoot in Nikon NEF format so the photo is approx.
10" X 6.67" in print preview if I want to make it a finished 8X10 size print when I change the size settings to
8" from the 6.67" it automatically changes the other size to 12". So my question is how can I resize to a specific size in print preview without have PS CS automatically changing the size of the other?
Thanks
Tony