Re: pinholes

karl Shah-Jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> From: "David Dyer-Bennet"
>
>> Cool idea.  A bit crowded; I wish that the red/green/blue curves were
>> in their own color, to make them easier to distinguish.
>
> ah, that'll happen in the beta version :-)
>

>> When I go from 50mm on the left axis horizontally right until I hit
>> the blue curve, the intersection seems to me to be above about 550 on
>> the f-stop scale.  So am I misunderstanding the instructions, or the
>> graph?
>

> no, you're right - as usual my hurriedly typed, saved-16-times-before-I
> find-the-message-again text was wrong <slaps forehead>, to compound the
> problem I was actually referring to a hand drawn graph when I penned this,
> and not only was I looking at the wrong focal length but also the wrong
> curve (because I drew the red curve in blue ink - go figure!)
>
> nice spot David !  I'll amend my notes immediately.  Funny thing - on the
> reverse of the graph I have the example set out perfectly..

Yeah, well.  Murphy is ever-vigilant.

>> I've done a tiny bit of pinhole photography with my Fuji S2.  It's not
>> actually auto-exposure, but having immediate feedback on the LCD (with
>> histogram display!) is nearly as good, better in some ways.
>
> How do the results compare to film based pinhole work?

Right now, I feel like what I've done is in the wrong part of the
pinhole area.  The few things I've produced so far strike me as being
blurry lens-type shots.  There's really no point to them.  Then again,
they're the result of wandering around the yard for half an hour the
day the pinhole body cap arrived.

The first two photos at
<http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/2003/08260-Weird%20Tech/>
are among my more presentable S2 pinhole images.

What I *want* to play with is 4x5 studio pinhole macro.  Using studio
strobes on a tiny subject should keep the exposure time down to finite
periods, and doing sharp macro work with infinite depth of field would
be a *very* different look.  I dunno how sharp 4x5 pinhole actually is
really, though (assuming a good choice of pinhole size for the focal
length of course).
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
Photos: <dd-b.lighthunters.net>  Snapshots: <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>