Re: Pinholin' ...

Guy 'the dude who did the really big binhole shot' Glorieux writes:

>And their friends burst in laughter when they find out that they've got to
take a course to ..."learn how to shoot with a shoe box"...!!

hehe :-)  We had the arts types swan in from time to time figuring they were
onto something new with pinholes - poor things would come back with their
first failures and want to know how to do better - I don't know whether I
should have had more pity for them after their first attempt or when they
went away clutching graphs, formulae and squiggled pictures of icecream
cones and other lens/image related notes.

> Thanks for the condensed set of data.  Hard to read the chart on the
screen.  Can I download it without breach of Copyright?  Or is the breach
only taking place at the instant I use the chart?

feel free!  copy away and use it wherever you like.. There, you all have my
permission to use it wherever you want :-)

> Hmmm.  It follows that when I'm shooting daylight with daylight film, I
need a different pinhole than when shooting tungsten with tungsten film
and/or any combination.  My fixed focal pinhole camera will require a
turrett with different hole/aperture to handle different color situations...

cool! a turret camera, I haven't seen to many still turret cameras lately,
might be nice to see such a beast.

> Ah!  But you could order a laser-drilled pinhole on a sheet of plating
gold matching exactly 0.52681mm diameter.  Your image would then be so sharp
(in pinhole parlance, of course), you'd have to handle it with protective
gloves..! White gloves, of course! -:)

in my case it'd be to prevent blood getting all over the aperture and
mucking it up - why IS it that thin sheet metal and fingers don't mix?
Actually, extrapolating further up the graph (I know what size pinhole shots
you do Guy! ) you'd probably be working with some fairly large holes.. hmm,
maybe I should do a 'big format' version too.

> Right on!
> My students actually start staring in a state of altered mind when I reach
that part of the course ...  -:)
> I've put a copyright on this section of my notes under the section: fully
legal "illegal mind boggling substances".

that is just to entice students, isn't it?.. go on, admit it! :-)

> >> Isn't pinhole photography fun!? :-)
> Sure beats clicking the auto-calculate-adjust-everything-digital
amera!  -:)  Almost as good as shooting with an 8x10 or 11x14 camera...

Oh - you just reminded me to get on with building my 16x20 camera.  It's
mostly done, but I really wanted to build a motor drive roll back for it -
darkslides will be just too much of a headache!

thanks Guy, I hope you can use the graph.

karl