Re: PF Exhibits on 01-24-04

At 10:03 AM -0500 1/24/04, ADavidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated 24 Jan. 04. Authors
with work now on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html  include:

Elisha Page - Woman's Basketball

Well, it's a woman with a basketball in her hands. Strangely she has a very worn looking face. I like the use of DOF throwing her pursuers slightly out of focus behind her, but the hand in front, which after some study I conclude that she appears to be trying to figure out how to circumvent, needs to be sharp, to me. In addition, although the low angle does bring the hand into play, less of her lower body and more of the ball, and probably more of the arm belonging to the hand, possibly even the shoulder of the arm, would make clearer what's going on here.

Just looking at the image, it's a nice portrait, well lit, of a worn face with too much body.

Leslie Spurlock -

Real shame about that chin. Perhaps removing more of the shoulder blocking it would make it more forgivable? Perhaps this is the next to next to last image in a sequence of her, in which you get the chin in the final image? And, yes, those damn white clips do make fun for the photographer....

Don Roberts - Secrest Barn

Wow. Beautiful. Scarey the way that beam seems to wobble on its way up... But I have a weakness for this sort of graphic image and for wood, too. Once upon a time trees actually came that thick. I like the placement of the peak in the image also.

Rubin F. Diehl - Morning Colors

Something about the composition is agreeable to me, but the darkness shrouding the whatever-they-are on the whatever-it-is makes me wish a little fill flash had been pushed in there.

Per Ofverbeck - Pollard

OK. I looked it up in the dictionary and bollard seems to be the English word for what I call a cleat. The overcast light really brings up the agreeable tones of yellow and blue here, and makes the color very pleasant to view. But I'm not as ease with the placement of the cleat in the right side of the image. Something about that is not restful like the colors are in the muted light.

WRGill -

Hmm. I would have liked not to see the bits of cardboard from the slide mount, and could also have done without the black not-really-a-deliberate border. Also, I'm not certain that the perspective and amount of humidity in the air over Half Dome really brings out that much cyan. There seem to be scanning lines in the image as well, perhaps a little gaussian blur would have smoothed them out?

Aside from the technical matters, new perspectives on Half Dome are rare and this one is even more interesting for contemplating what it might feel like to be in Yosemite Valley in a hang glider. Thrilling and tricky at the same moment!

Shawna Hanel - Spoon

Love it. Great composition, nice sharpness, neat sculpting of the spoon by the skylight.

Today as I left Wal*Mart I observed some scraps of paper flitting across the parking lot from a car parked two down from mine. Looking further I discerned that a man was heaving fistfulls of such scraps out of the pocket on the car door onto the pavement between his car and the next one, where the wind picked them up and flew them past me.

Amazing what people do.

Dan Mitchell - House at the end of the Lane

Wish there were more house. Half-house at the end of the Lane. And what a shame the lane is sufficiently important to the burghers that they had to paint a yellow line on it.

Jeff Spirer - Construction

Is this some cellophane filter or a multiple exposure?

Alan Zinn - Can we get one Dad?

Just can't seem to get my eyes to cross today or a few days ago when I first looked at the gallery. And I'm afraid I'm just not into cars, either. But we all love each other for our quirks and Alan tolerates my boats so I'll go on looking at his cars.

Thanks to all and to Andy, as always, for his generosity and good humor.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822