Re: Kodak pro film

Thanks for the responses guys but it seemed to shift into the 'Kodak are God/Spawn of Satan' debate rather fast. While I'm prepared to believe that Kodak are lovely folk with fine intentions, I was was more concerned with the realities of the market than the company line - i.e. are sales of pro films in medium/large format taking a big hit?
Here, the wedding/school market has dived enthusiastically into didge and that has had an effect on the availability of 120 at least - my local stores have shortened stocks and lines. Is this a general experience there and an indication of things to come? I know that film will be available for a long time as yet but who will be using it?
A parallel case might be the usage of chrome and B&W - what consumer would bother these days but the market is still there for the pro and serious amateur. It's just harder to get pro processing. This is a more significant shift.
Cousin Mark has to work out just what emphasis to give to didge vs. film in his courses - which are commercial photog. courses - and he's no better than I am at predicting the future. We just thought that the health and trends of the pro film market might be a good indicator. So, how many of the pros on this list are using mostly didge these days for paying work or are worried about supplies of their favorite film in 220?
AndrewF

You may explain to your cousin:  My experience has shown a developed skill
in Xerography and Computer imaging depends on familiarity with film, first.

Kodak's multi billion dollar investment in the scientific realm of digital
photography encompasses ostioscopic surgery and exploration like colin
oscopy (spelling?) and dental exray.

I had both, with film almost immediately and clarity better than the plain
eye.  The dental exrays were made per normal, and processed in seconds to
show with clarity and diagnostic sureity, such than it would seem a natural
money maker for any company who proceeds into that field.

Will Kodak abandon film?  No more than if you all gave up your children at
birth for some sort of collective living where the children of the future
would grow up in herds, or packs like wild goats or dogs.  Oil paints are
still being used, made in America and providing profit for their
manufacturers of long time companies.

Pro film is no different than 'tourist' film, but for the fact of the
expiration date, and that strips of the main sheet has been tested beforee
shipping.

Steve Shapiro, Carmel, CA

no longer willing to fret over possible loss of film supplies.