Re: TIF or JPEG

> 3072 by 2048
OK, I'll do that for my test.
Damn, I wish I could afford PS7!

> Yes, Photoshop 7, don't know about other versions.
PS 5 went from QF 0-10
PS 7 went from QF 0-12
These "QFs" are pretty meaningless though: my recollection is that
they filled in the gaps rather than adding "higher quality" settings.
Using jpeg wizard I can save "hundreds" of different qualities: you
can specify luminance / chrominance / sub-sampling independantly in
fine steps.

> Let's not forget though that lossless compression can reduce TIF
files
> somewhat, depending on the amount of detail, but it's not a big
deal.
I don't ever forget that.  For most files LZW compressed tiffs offer
some benefits.  Personally I have reservations about compressed
formats for archive: a one-bit error can make the whole file
unreadable.  For uncompressed RGB (or YMCA) data you just get a minor
change to one pixel ;o)

> Of course it would be lovely if I could save TIF files back into RAW
> format for archiving. And that's why I save all my stuff as RAW
files,
Hahahahahaha
Sorry, I'm not making fun of you - you know that's not possible: it
would be a lossy process in essence regenerating a Bayer CFA array
from an 8-bit per channel file.

Actually, yesterday I wrote some VBA code (in Excel 97) to generate
pseudo Bayer arrays from RGB images - just so I could experiment with
some code to convert them back and then  test how well they compressed
after reconversion.   [Thinks: does an Excel spreadsheet saved from
Windows run on a Mac?]

> and why Capture One is so great, because it remembers all the
> manipulations you did to make a TIF and you can therefore easily
make
> a new TIF exactly as you did before, cropping and all.
That is sort of what I wished you could do with PhotoShop.

> A big problem with JPGs of course is they are only 8 bit files...
It's incredible how many people still sing the mantra " 8-bits good,
16-bits bad".  That is even odder than the cranky old farts that resis
t going digital <grin>.  8-bits per channel was never a graphic design
issue it was just a necessity harking back to the early days when most
processors worked on 8-bit bytes (yes, I remember 7-bit bytes).  Today
there is no reason to at least not have the facility.  It would need a
new format - PhotoShop would need to be rewritten to handle it
seamlessly ... and it goes on ...

Bob