Re: TIF or JPEG

At 09:29 AM 12/6/2003 +0900, you wrote:

> .jpg reduces file size dramatically without noticable loss >when saved at highest quality settings (12,maximum) and >>baseline optimized. This finding has been tested on a very >high end press workflow from drum scans.

>This info is from Adobe Certified Training Provider Douglas >Mitchell in Orlando, Florida. 407-671-1141

>"P. David Van Verst"

I have been saving at JPG 12 quality because my printer needs JPGs. I
just checked though and there is no savings in size.

>Jim Davis

The original question was JPG verses TIF. A full frame uncompressed TIF file from a six MP digicam is about 18 meg. A JPG of the same file saved at adobe "12" setting will be between 2 and 3 meg, depending on the image detail. Six times as many JPG files as TIFs will fit on a CD. A six to one ratio JPG is indistinguishable from a TIF. To say there is no saving in size is nonsense.

Dave
East Englewood
Perspective is a myth.