Re: TIF or JPEG

On Friday, December 5, 2003, at 04:59 AM, Karl Shah-Jenner wrote:

I know working on images is best done when the image is in TIF format to
reduce losses, but when a final image is made for printing purposes, is it
'good practice' to save as TIF's, or are JPEG's good enough?

For example, I can store an 8x10, a 5x7 and a 6x4 equivalent & appropriately
cropped jpeg in less space than a single 8x10 TIF (talking 300lpi here) so
does the TIF really offer any benefit over the lossy format?

Thoughts?

karl

Karl,

Archieving Files:
Use .jpg format whenever possible for pixel based photographic workflow.
.jpg reduces file size dramatically without noticable loss when saved at
highest quality settings (12,maximum) and baseline optimized.
This finding has been tested on a very high end press workflow from drum scans.
For newsprint, save as .fpg: Quality 10, Baseline Optimized.
Tip: Do not save X-rays or screen captures as .jpg.

This info is from Adobe Certified Training Provider Douglas Mitchell in Orlando, Florida. 407-671-1141

Dave