TIF or JPEG

I know working on images is best done when the image is in TIF format to
reduce losses, but when a final image is made for printing purposes, is it
'good practice' to save as TIF's, or are JPEG's good enough?

For example, I can store an 8x10, a 5x7 and a 6x4 equivalent & appropriately
cropped jpeg in less space than a single 8x10 TIF (talking 300lpi here) so
does the TIF really offer any benefit over the lossy format?

Thoughts?

karl