Re: TIF or JPEG

Karl Shah-Jenner <shahjen@iinet.net.au> wrote/replied to:

>I know working on images is best done when the image is in TIF format to
>reduce losses, but when a final image is made for printing purposes, is it
>'good practice' to save as TIF's, or are JPEG's good enough?
>
>For example, I can store an 8x10, a 5x7 and a 6x4 equivalent & appropriately
>cropped jpeg in less space than a single 8x10 TIF (talking 300lpi here) so
>does the TIF really offer any benefit over the lossy format?

My local lab uses a Fuji Frontier and they won't accept TIFs. So I
give them JPGs saved at low compression of 12. I certainly can't see
any problems at 10 by 15 inch prints.

I would imaging to make smaller files you could go down in JPG quality
quite a bit before seeing artifacts. Remember, these things will only
show up in some smooth tonal areas in any case, so it's usuall not a
problem.

Jim Davis
- checkout the Motorcycle Headlight Relay Kit at:
http://jimdavis.oberro.com/html/bike_acc_.html