Re: Off Topic

Jim writes:
> Bob, I think many young people want to avoid the same pitfalls of
> their parents. I always remember my Mom spending the entire Xmas day
> preparing and serving turkey and special foods. Not to mention the
> cleanup never ended. Add on a trip to the combini for an extra roll of
> aluminum foil, a trip for more cranberry jelly, and entertaining all
> those relative or guests, and a trip to the pub to get some turkey
> starts sounding good.

Maybe that all happened because it was a day when exciting things happened
(we made it so), it was a time for excess without guilt and a time when we
could celebrate for a reason.  It was a special time because we made it so.

Now days for many, everything is available to us (credit) and wants can be
satisfied as readily as needs.  Everyday we are inundated with exciting
images, exciting sounds, exciting sights.. what could christmas possibly
offer to compete ?

The contrast of a quiet time when we block out the madness..

and the time becomes special, once again.