Re: Gallery review 8-30-03

Brian Chandler <chandler@yomogi.or.jp> wrote/replied to:

>> I'm in Japan so that bird was shot here. I gather it's in many
>other
>> places in the world too. Thanks for the nice comments.
>

>Yes, it's a kingfisher. I've never seen one, but they are very familiar
>>from childhood books and tea card collections. Seems to extend across
>Eurasia, but I guess not N. America?

You will see them along rivers and ponds. They will sit on larger
branches that are handy and open to diving off into the water. They
are very small but the blue colour is very easy to spot if you look
carefully. They are extremely shy so you have to be very quiet and
sneak up on them. You sometimes see them when they fly but they fly so
fast they are literally a bluish blur. They like to fish in morning
sunlight but can be seen at any time. Remember, look for a very small
very bright aqua-blue colour.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/